STRATA member Bill Bramble has embarked on a documentary project examining the hip-hop dance crews, underground “battles,” and dance subculture of Washington, DC. This project will focus on the life and times of a DC-based dance crew called “OBEY” that specializes in “Beat ya Feet”, a style of dance native to the Chocolate City. By photographing the group’s members, Bill hopes to shine a light on this unique aspect of DC’s cultural legacy and the lives of some of the city’s young residents who are coming of age during a period of rapid change. Stay tuned.
© Bill Bramble 2013
STRATA accepts up to two new members each July during the year anniversary of the collective’s founding.
Membership is open to anybody in the world.
Open enrollment begins May 1 and closes May 31. Current members will review submitted portfolios in June and announce the two new members in July.
Submitted portfolios must include a one page bio and paragraph on why you want to join STRATA. Please include 30 total images in a .zip file, with at least 10 from the past calendar year. Images must be sized at 2000px long edge at 72 DPI. Each image file must be named LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_YEAR_[01-30].jpg.
Please submit entries to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2013.
Benefits of STRATA Membership
- Participation in STRATA’s private critique group
- Participation in STRATA’s private mobile IM client
- Participation in STRATA group shows, 1-2 a year
- Participation on stratacollective.com
- Inclusion in STRATA’s year-in-review magazine or book
- Potential for editorial or commercial shoots
- Voting rights on STRATA business matters after first year probationary period
- No dues or official financial obligations
STRATA Membership Requirements
- Be an active photographer, producing work to share on a regular basis
- Participate in private critique group, a weekly commitment
- Participate in quarterly meetings in person or via Skype or Google Plus Hangouts
- Attend the STRATA Annual Meeting each year in early December. This will require several days travel to a location within or outside of the continental United States.
- Maintain a professional approach to photography and will not engage in activities that negatively affect STRATA’s or its members’ reputations.
Boy in Tree, National Mall, Washington, DC